Saturday, April 5, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 38 Weeks

With each week that goes by lately, I keep thinking this could be the last chalkboard picture of this pregnancy!  If you had asked me mid-week, I would have said this would probably be the last, but if you ask me now (Saturday night, the 5th) I'd say it's most likely we will have yet another week with the chalkboard.  

At the beginning of the week I was having lots of dull cramping in my lower abdomen, especially at night.  Then Wednesday night around 2am I was having constant contractions that were intense and lasting a long time!!  They went on for over an hour, then subsided.  Then came back around 4 am.  I debated on whether to call the doctor or not, but  I was able to get myself back to sleep since they weren't necessarily regular or in any pattern. By the time I woke up in the morning they were completely gone.  The rest of the week I have felt just fine, with little to no contractions at all.  Guess it was all just a little tease!  

     Taken: 3/31/14


I went to the doctor for my 38 week checkup and ultrasound on Tuesday, April 1st.  Kyle and Lane were able to come to the ultrasound before school/work, and it was confirmed that baby girl is still head down!  Whew! (The doc couldn't feel her head last week and wanted to make sure she hadn't flipped.)  Everything looked great with the baby, who is likely to be rather big compared to what Lane was!  Lane weighed 5 lbs 13 oz when delivered at 37 weeks, and the sonographer estimated that Ellis weighs 7 lbs 15 oz right now!  Given, she already has a week in the womb past her big brother, but still!  That seems huge compared to the little peanut I delivered 4 years ago, especially knowing that she could stay in there even longer.  We were happy and thankful to see all of her organs functioning normally, her sweet profile--complete with mouth movements and practice breathing, and of course, that she was head down and in position for delivery.


Girlfriend has some lips!! And cheeks!



I stayed after the sonogram for my checkup with the doctor, and Kyle took Lane on to school and went to work.  Dr. Schneider ended up being out again that day, but luckily I was able to see one of the other doctors in the practice for my appointment.

Details:

  • BP 120/64- still looking good!
  • Baby's heartbeat in 140's during ultrasound and 150's during appointment.
  • I lost 1.2 lbs since last week, bringing my total weight gain down to 21.4lbs.
  • Dilated to a 2 with a "softening cervix."  She said that means effaced, but didn't say how much.
  • Mentioned dull cramping in lower abdomen I've been having to the doctor and she said that means labor is on it's way!
  • That night after I went to bed was when all the real strong contractions started.  I don't know if it was her checking my cervix earlier that day that caused it, or if it was just practice labor, but it was pretty intense!
  • Talked to the nurse the next morning who said to make sure to stay hydrated and watch for patterns in contractions with definite peaks.  


This waiting thing is new to me!  Lane's birth happened so fast.  One minute I was at work, thinking I had almost a month longer to go, and the next I was being induced 3 weeks early.  I didn't have time to dwell on anything, my house was a mess, I had no bags packed, and had no clue what I was in for.  This time around I am pretty much the opposite!  I am mentally ready for Ellis to come, I've been trying hard to keep up with the house and keep it tidy for her arrival, bags are packed, gear is ready, and I somewhat know what to expect as far as labor goes this time around.  Ellis Paige--come on out!!  We can't wait to meet you!


No comments:

Post a Comment