Friday, September 27, 2013

big brother

FINALLY!!!!  The post I have been waiting to write for a very long time is here!  After a long wait, Kyle and I are thrilled to announce that we are expecting a new baby, due April 14, 2014.  Lane is going to be a BIG BROTHER!

 
*Picture taken in Laguna Beach 8/15/13*


We always knew we wanted more than one child, but waited until the timing seemed right to us and began officially trying around the holidays last year.  I had an IUD put in after I had Lane, and had it removed at the beginning of November.  We decided we wanted to try for a "fall" baby, so in December we started the process of trying for baby #2.  :)  Well, month after month, it wasn't happening.  

**Back when we decided we wanted our first child, we basically didn't even have a chance to "try!"  I found out I was pregnant with Lane the month I got off of birth control, so this waiting thing was new to me!**

I expressed concern to my doctor at my yearly checkup in March, and she seemed to think it would happen soon.  We had only been trying for 4 months at that time, and already had one child, so she thought it was bound to happen.  We continued on with countless ovulation predictor kits, tracking my basal body temperature every morning, monitoring monthly symptoms, and still, no baby.  This made me so sad for the people who have tried for years for a baby, and for those who can't even have children of their own at all.  After about 7 months, I called my doctor again and she had me come in for some blood work.  I did a day 3 blood test on the 3rd day of my cycle to test a number of things, and went in again on day 21 for a progesterone test to make sure I ovulated.  My cycles were kind of all over the place each month, sometimes being as short as 22 days and sometimes as long as 28.  The first blood test came back inconclusive.  We tried again the next cycle, and this time my blood work came back normal, indicating that I did ovulate, but proving that my ovulation time each month was unpredictable.  We had Kyle tested, and everything with him was normal, so at this point my doctor suggested I try Clomid to jumpstart ovulation and try to get me back on track.  I decided to wait one more month before resorting to drugs, and after another disappointing negative pregnancy test, Kyle and I decided to give it a try. 

I started my first round of Clomid on July 11, 2013.  I had heard all kinds of horror stories about side effects, and also was aware of the increased chance of multiples.  It was risky it seemed, but Kyle and I both agreed we wanted another baby, whether it meant one or two.  (or MORE!)  Yikes!  I had a couple of minor hot flashes while taking the medicine and felt a little off, but it wasn't as bad as I had heard it would be.  I took the medication once a day from July 11-15th.  

According to all of my monthly charting, I had predicted I could take a pregnancy test the first week of August and it would be a reliable reading.  Of course, I couldn't wait, and decided to take one on Monday, July 29th.  It was almost like my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw the faintest line ever.  I had experiences with "evaporation lines" in the past, so I didn't think anything of it.  The next morning, I took another and the same VERY faint line was there.  I really began to think "Could this be it??"  I dropped Lane off at Vacation Bible School, met a friend for coffee, and kept thinking about it all morning.  I stopped by Walgreen's to get a digital test, picked up Lane, and rushed home.  I had one more line test left, so I took it first, and that faint line had gotten a little darker!!  My heart was racing as I took the digital test and when the words "pregnant" popped up on that screen I was shaking with excitement!!
*I took this exact same picture when I found out I was pregnant with Lane.  Here is the post from my old blog from when I found out!*

The first person I told???  LANE!  I filmed me telling him and got some good footage of him asking some funny questions and making funny comments!  He immediately said there were 2 babies, a boy and a girl.  He named them Firefighter Bob and Police Girl.  We planned to surprise Kyle when he got home from work, and Lane was going to wear a "Big Brother" shirt.



I was so excited to tell Kyle!  Lane got his big brother shirt on and we waited and waited for him to come through the door.  It took him a second to catch on to the shirt, but when he did he said "Alright!!!" and we hugged and high fived.  :-)

Running to hug Daddy!
 




I just know Lane will make a GREAT big brother!




 




No comments:

Post a Comment